About this position
Working directly with the public, you will be the first point of contact for visitors, delivering front-line services including processing of admission and gift shop sales, responding to phone and walk-in inquiries, and collecting visitor feedback.
Following established visitor services policies, you'll be front-and-center supporting Bow Habitat Station in achieving its vision of building environmentally conscious communities engaged in conservation and stewardship action.
What you'll do
Lead the delivery and support the development of front-line visitor services
- Deliver professional, friendly and accurate information to visitors
- Respond to phone calls and email inquiries
- Process and reconcile daily sales through Aspira POS system
- Support the management of café and gift shop products
- Monitor and support with troubleshooting of displays, exhibits and public resources
- Manage the collection or relevant qualitative and quantitative visitor data
- Support the maintenance of key messages, FAQs and guiding policies and procedures
- Analyze and troubleshoot operational issues as they arise
- Support with the ongoing improvement in the delivery of front-line services
Support the delivery of environmental education programs and activities
- Deliver select Fish Hatchery programs to public visitors of all ages and abilities
- Share approved messaging that helps to build understanding and appreciation of Alberta’s fish and their aquatic environments
- Support the development of online educational content (i.e. social media, newsletters)
- Provide support to Environmental Educators to address program issues as they arise
- Provide support with the management of program resources
- Support volunteers in their roles and responsibilities (sharing knowledge, assisting in training sessions)
Support BHS and EPA in achieving mandates, goals, vision and mission
- Maintain a strong knowledge of programs and experiences available at BHS
- Establish and maintain positive and professional relationships with coworkers, visitors, volunteers and partners
- Support special projects under the direction of the Program Coordinators, as required
- Demonstrate a continued commitment to learning through participation in training opportunities relevant to the position
- Adhere to established policies, guidelines and current messaging, including following worksite OHS guidelines and procedures
What you'll need
A high school diploma and a minimum of two years of related experience in the delivery of in-person customer services to clients of varying ages and abilities. Experience in cash handling is not required but considered an asset.
Prior to hire, applicants must obtain:
- Standard First Aid Level C CPR with AED
- A Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- Ability to work a shifted schedule including weekends and the occasional evening shift
- A valid Class 5 driver's licence
Costs of First Aid training and Criminal Record Check will be the responsibility of the final candidates.
What you have
- Knowledge of customer service practices for all ages and abilities
- Proficiency in adapting to and working with point-of-sale systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Exceptional, friendly and professional customer service skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced, visitor-focused environment
- The ability to adapt service delivery styles to meet the needs of audiences
- The ability to identify and effectively communicate and address front-line issues
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience working effectively and collaboratively within a team
- Strong attention to detail
- A continued desire to learn
- Knowledge of Alberta's fish, wildlife and biodiversity is considered an asset
Terms of employment
- Start date in late April 2023 (up to 2 positions)
- End date in early September 2023 with opportunities for extension
- Shifts are 6.75-7.25 hours (approx. 33-36 hours weekly)
- Schedules typically 5 days/week Tuesdays through Saturdays
- Hourly wages start at $21.41, plus 11% vacation pay and shift premium of $3.25/hour for weekend shifts
Send a resume and cover letter and indicate 'Visitor Services' in the subject line of the email.
In the cover letter, include why you are interested in working at Bow Habitat Station and how your previous experiences will ensure success in this position.
Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.